Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How can I fix my bath tub with out replacing it? ?

My bath tub has a large rust spot around the lever that open %26amp; shuts the drain. It has a hole just under it where the rust has eaten through. We don't use it to take baths just showers. But i want to patch up the hole so no water gets behind the tub. we can't afford to replace it , so any advice on a patch job would help. How can I fix my bath tub with out replacing it? ?
Wow, an iron tub with a hole all the way through it.





You're going to want to grind the rust off and get back to virgin metal. Then you can patch with fiberglass and Bondo, just like a car. Finish up by sanding the entire surface and epoxy painting the entire tub all at once so the color matches all the way 'round. You have to stay out of the tub for a couple of days for a good cure, so be sure to check with a friend so you can borrow their shower for a day or two.How can I fix my bath tub with out replacing it? ?
Some people will tell you to use bondo, some will tell you to use something else. That is where I am.





I repaired a tub with such a problem as yours with a product called J-B Weld, available at most hardware stores. It is a two part epoxy product that hardens up quite well.





I removed all the thinner rust with a small grinding stone, slipped a piece of cardboard with a string through it to hold it with, then applied the epoxy. If it is a faily large area, more than one coat may be necessary. After it hardened, I used an appliance paint to cover it. While it stilled looked like a repair, it did the trick until the tub can be replaced,
1 What type of material is rusted?


Most tubs are plastic with the metal ring for the lever,but I would suggest a silicone base water proof caulk(depending on the size of hole).I have patched holes in tubs before with caulk and has worked fine.Hope this helps.If you caulk it you will need it to set without water for about 24 hrs. to cure,but read the instructions on caulk.
call a cheap mechanic if you dont want that find the type of medal take duck glue trust me strongest glur you will ever fidn and glue on the same type of medal onto it,








answer mine http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>
You can buy a product called 'bathroom fitter'; which basically covers your bathtub/shower in one piece.
Call a plumber and ask him if he can fix your bathtub.
you have to remove all the rust then epoxy it.
hi





if you can get to the hole pump in some silicon sealant

No comments:

Post a Comment