Sunday, January 17, 2010

Can I tile the front of a fiberglass bath tub?

I have a travertine floor in my bathroom. I'd like to build a tub surround by just tiling the sides the tub. I've been told it can't be done because it won't stick and the sides are unstable.Can I tile the front of a fiberglass bath tub?
I agree with Steven W. Use Liquid Nails. They stick really well, but I guess you'd have to use quite a lot of it. Then for the grouting, just use white silicon between the tiles. Can't really visualise what you want to do but the above will at least take care of the expansion/contraction of the fibreglass.Can I tile the front of a fiberglass bath tub?
Nothing personal, I typically like Steve's answers, but I do this professionally. Please trust me. It's a bad choice. Not trying to be rude, just trying to keep you from making a mistake.

Report Abuse



That has got to be the stupidest answer I've ever seen. Why ask the question if you're going to select the dumbest answer?





GOOD ANSWER Yeah yeah, and maybe you should use duck tape on the joints, it will flex with the fiberglass panel, that you are about to ruin, better.... sigh...

Report Abuse



I've installed a bunch of tile in my life, and have to agree with Fordman.





Certainly you can try ';Liquid nails'; rather than thin set mortar, or you can face the tub surround with concrete backer board, install tile over that and perhaps do a bull nose on top.





The time, effort, and expense wouldn't be prohibitive and if it doesn't work, I promise not to say ';I told you so.';





Steven Wolf
fiberglass expands and contracts. That would cause your grout to crack and even the tiles ot become loose.





there is an old saying, ';There is never time to do it right, but there is always time to do it over.';





If you do it right then its done and you can move on to other exciting projects, do it wrong and it will decrease the value of your house and make it hard to sell, when you decide to.
There are mortar additives that can use instead of water, and tile will bond. But I still wouldn't do it. First fiberglass will flex, and the at least the grout will crack, and the mortar even with the additive can only flex so far, before the mortar will lose the bond with the fiberglass. Second, it will look worse than the fiberglass. Tile should set on flat substrate. There will lippage. Finally, mortar on vertical surfaces can be messy. It's not too bad if you clean as you go, but you would have use the additive, and I'll tell, I've used it, it sticks to any surface, and doesn't come off, including hands, floors, tubs. If the problem is you don't like the tub, stains, or color, look in to having resurfaced. If you really want a tile tub, rip the old tub out and start new. If you want a tile shower I recommend this system.





http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower鈥?/a>





Ask a tile wholesaler. Don't go to Home Cheapo on this one.
Hell, I'd try it...Then again, I'm notorious for making things work that I'm told are ';impossible';...As my bf says, ';Nailing a live octopus to a wall is impossible. Anything else is merely difficult.';
anything is possible
  • maybelline express
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment