Monday, January 18, 2010

My tabby cat just started peeing in our bath tub, how can I stop her from doing that?

I have a one year old and 4 year old and I always give them a bubble bath. But recently my tabby cat whose now 3 year old and alone with no other animal companion started peeing in our bathtub. Now I cannot use the tub for my kids without cleaning it well. My hand is already full to have this problem. Please help!My tabby cat just started peeing in our bath tub, how can I stop her from doing that?
I had the same problem with my tabby male about 2 years ago. I could not figure out WHY, but he was peeing in the tub!





It could be the cat has a bladder infection. It could be a psychological problem (death of a companion cat? new kitten addition? Moved?). Change of kitty litter or location?





Whatever the cause, the way you have to stop it is by getting rid of ALL the ';smell'; from the tub and ';surrounds.'; The scent is not something that YOU can smell, either, it is what the CAT is smelling... including the ENZYMES that are part of the urine.





1. If you use a bathmat that is getting peed on, you HAVE TO THROW IT OUT and replace it. There is NO way to completely de-scent and sanitize the rubber.





2. Shower curtain: You can WASH it in your clothes washer, and add a cap-full of BLEACH to the wash.





3. Purchase from your pet store/department a pet urine cleaner. This product specifically gets rid of the ENZYMES left by the urnine. Clean the entire tub with this first.... THEN...





4. SANITIZE the ENTIRE TUB: Best to use a pail of water with 2 qts of water and a capful of bleach and SPONGE DOWN ALL the tile/walls and the tub thoroughly.





If you can, put a new, clean litter box in the bathroom near the tub. This will redirect the urge to the box instead of the tub.





Do this procedure AFTER being sure what the cause it, if it is physical or psychological. If you don't stop the cause, the cleaning is wasted efforts!








Me... kittyslave23... I know my place.My tabby cat just started peeing in our bath tub, how can I stop her from doing that?
It could be a bladder infection or bladder stones. Rule this out first by a visit to a veterinarian.


If that's not what it is, it could be a behavior problem. Has something changed in your house?
better the tub than the floor


change the kitty liter
  • wrinkles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment