Sunday, January 17, 2010

I sprayed a bleach cleaner in my bath tub and it almost instantly left rust-colored stains. How do I remove?

My old (not sure of the material, but not some plastic) bathtub just had some random usage stains in it, so I pulled out bleach cleaner. When I sprayed it, it almost immediately left rust colored stains that streak downwards. Rinsing did not remove. Scrubbing does not remove. More bleach only seems to make it worse. I'm afraid there was some chemical reaction. What is the stain and how do I remove it?I sprayed a bleach cleaner in my bath tub and it almost instantly left rust-colored stains. How do I remove?
I'd first try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and if that doesn't work try Barkeeper's Friend - you'll find it next to the Comet Cleanser in about any store.I sprayed a bleach cleaner in my bath tub and it almost instantly left rust-colored stains. How do I remove?
FYI, Barkeepers friend (which I have a case of in the basement anyway since I have all stainless pots and pans) worked with *light* scrubbing. Thanks, everyone!

Report Abuse



Bleach was used in our old cast iron bath leaving orange streaks.


They were easily removed using lemon juice

Report Abuse



You're right, it is a chemical reaction. Bleach is an oxidising agent, so will cause rusting on susceptible materials - such as an enamel bath. Hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach) will neutralise the chlorine bleach you've used %26amp; stop the marks getting worse but probably won't remove them. Lemon juice or cream of tarter may remove the rust marks, however if your bath is enamel, lemon juice can damage the glaze, thus creating further problems.





You may find the following website helpful: http://cleaninginfo.info/spots-spills-stains.html





Also see this answer to a question on Yahoo! Canada:


http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521001228AAXDX1w





Next time use a specific, non-abrasive cleaner that says it's suitable for use on vitreous enamel, porecelain %26amp; ceramic ware.
This is an unusual one. I would actually try some rust remover. There are several products in the store for removing rust stains. Give some a try. If that doesn't work I would call the company of the product you did use and ask them what happened.
I would try using a Mr Clean magic eraser to get rid of the stains. We had rust stains on our bathroom countertops when we moved in and it took them right off.

No comments:

Post a Comment