Monday, January 18, 2010

I know your not suposed to be in hot tubs when your pregnant. What about soaking in the bath tub?

I just found out that I'm pregnant and I like soaking in the bath tub in really hot water. Is that ok if not how hot am I able to have it?I know your not suposed to be in hot tubs when your pregnant. What about soaking in the bath tub?
You can take a bath, but it can't be very hot at all. The issue is raising your core body temperature is not good for the baby, it decreases the amount of oxygen your blood carries. As you get further along, you shouldn't take baths at all, so start now taking showers...I know your not suposed to be in hot tubs when your pregnant. What about soaking in the bath tub?
they say any water they will raise your temp above 102. so you may want to test the temp of the water at the temp you like then take your temp before you get in and then every 10 min or so to see how fat it rasies i would get out before 102 though
I also like hot baths, and still have them. I just don't sit in them for as long as I used to. Sometimes I'll get out for a few minutes to cool of then get back in or I don't fill the tub full, so my belly sticks out of the water. Have baths just know your limits for heat. You can also have baths up until your water breaks. Heck some people deliver in the bath with the water at the appropriate temp.
I was told ';No, No, NO.'; It's not the amount of water or anything that you're in, it's the temperature! The baby can't regulate its temperature as well as you can. I'd ask my doctor about how hot it could be. I wouldn't expect it to be much over body temperature. So unfortunately, just add it to the list of things you have to wait a few more months to do....
You are not supposed to take really hot baths or showers while pregnant. Sorry.





good luck!
You need to avoid very hot baths. You don't want to raise your body temperature too much. Ask your doctor how hot would be too hot and then just use a thermometer (like the kind you have in a hot tub) to make sure the water is a safe temperature.
Your not suposed tosubmerge yourself in any water that will raise your body temp over 102.
Soaking in a tub or hot tub is not really a problem to your pregnancy until you get to the later stages of your pregnancy...when your cervix is starting to dilate. Even then, some doctors don't mind it, but you should check with yours when the time comes.
YOu can still take baths just NOT hot water... warm.. just nothing that will raise your body temp!!!Good Luck!!!
I think that hot baths probably aren't safe either. If I were going to take a bath then I would try to keep it under 100 degrees, which isn't hot at all I know :(. But I also heard that you mainly can't be in a hot tub later in your pregnancy, so maybe you can still take hot baths for a while. But I DON'T KNOW this for sure, so please don't take my word for it and ask a doctor.
Don't soak in water over 102 degrees. It would be best if you can keep it at 100. You just don't want your core temp over 103-104 and it will heat up to a degree or two above the actual water temp. Doing this has been linked to certain birth defects of the spine. It is extremely vital in the early months not to do this! Most home water heaters go to 120 and above! Get a pool thermometer to check, but be sure you test the temp correctly.Enjoy yourself! You'll find that later in pregnancy a hot bath can really help you melt away those aches when nothing else can! We keep our hot tub set at 100-101 and my doc OK'd it.
The doctor told me during my last pregnancy not to take baths that exceed 100 degrees. It's best to take showers, your temperature doesn't rise nearly as fast and they usually don't last as long as a bath.
You aren't supposed to let your body temp get over 102 degrees. So either take a really short one or make the water cooler. I have found that sitting in the tub with the shower bouncing off my belly to be just as relaxing as soaking in the tub. (Plus if you have congestion problems the steam will help you breath!)
A bath tub is fine. As long as you don't sit in there for ever. They told me that you can go in a hot tub when your pregnant but you can't stay in for more then 5-10 minutes. You can also dangle your feet. If your body sits in hot water for a awhile your body temp heats up in turn heats the baby up. I would say a arm bath is fine.
For the water births they set the water temp between 98 and 99 degrees. It won't let you cool down but it won't really raise your temp because it's about the same as your body temp. 102 is hotter than you are and if you weren't in a tub and were running a fever of 102 it'd be a worry basically you don't want to raise your temperature so the water should be the same or lower.





I personally didn't find the birth tub to be hot enough to be comfortable but it's better than roasted baby right? I just went with the scaulding hot shower route.
NO ITS NOT OK OR AT LEAST MOST OF THE TIME DOCTORS TELL YOU NOT TO DO IT BUT YOU NEED TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR
every book i've read has said *warm* bath. you have to remember that your baby is also feeling the heat! do you think a 1 lb. baby can handle that heat? i think not!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment