Monday, January 18, 2010

Can I remove painted glaze from bath tub and tile?

My home's original 1950 tub and tile were painted and I want it gone! The original tile appears to be in great condition and is great retro color that I want to see.Can I remove painted glaze from bath tub and tile?
the problem with that is anything you can use to take the paint off might ruin the finish below. I would try to use a minerial spirits/water mixture. not too harsh start with more water than minerial spirits and gradually add more if needed. Also use a non abrasive pad to take the paint off to make sure you don't scrach the finish below. try a scoch brite pad or even #0000 steel wool. Let the mixture sit on the tub before you scrub it will create less scrubbing with will cut down on the chance of scratching the finish.Can I remove painted glaze from bath tub and tile?
Use warm water and a scrub pad it'll work with a bit of dish soap or laundry soap(powdered would be better).try it
I tried this with various solvents. It was horrible. I wound up painting the tile with epoxy paint. Good luck.
Get paint stripper. Test it. Small sections. Then when you find what works, proceed. Their are plenty of products on the market that do not damage the underlying surface. Some you paint on. Are odorless but work in a period of hours. Be patient and don't rush it. Some come with a list of tools you will need. Some provide the tools you will need.

No comments:

Post a Comment