Thursday, May 13, 2010

Can I paint my bath tub?

my bathtub is getting kind of old if you know what i mean. I dont want to spend thousand or more for a new one. can i just repaint it or maybe do something else to it to make it normal again.Can I paint my bath tub?
Thank you for your question on repainting your bathtub. You most certainly can repaint your bath tub. Since I don't know if you have a porcelain, acrylic, cast iron, ceramic or steel bath tub I can't give you a specific answer on how to do it. Though I have found a few different companies out there who have kits to repaint any type of bathtub. I need to state up front that I haven't used any of them, but I thought they might be able to help you get started:





http://tubbyusa.com





http://www.superjetco.com





Or if you'd like to get a few quotes on having it done for you, here's a site to check out:





http://www.refinishingonline.com/





I hope this helps!Can I paint my bath tub?
You should look into getting a liner.


There are 3 main companies doing this type of remodel


1) Luxury Bath


2) Re-Bath


3) Bath Fitter





Luxury Bath is the highest quality by a long shot. It also has a product called microban. Microban is a antimicrobial product that actually kills mold and mildew. It also comes with the best warranty. www.luxurybath.com





Re-Bath would be my second choice. The reason being is they, like Luxury Bath have a one piece ';dog leg'; (The area on the wall in front off the tub. The dog leg goes from the top of the tub rail to the floor.)





The reason I would not recommend Bath fitter is because of the dog leg. This is the area that is most prone to leaking and they piece it together here.





As far as other options there is





1) tearing it out and starting over


2) Ceramic tile


3) re-glazing





With tearing it out you will be forced to use a fiberglass tub, which is very porous making it very difficult to clean. (for those that are reading this, thinking how nice your fiberglass tub is, go in there and rub your fingers over it. It may look o.k. but it will be greasy, that鈥檚 because the porous material is literally sucking the soap scum in. Fiberglass surrounds are also known for cracking and being ';spongy'; when you stand in them.





Ceramic tile is definitely attractive, but unfortunately the grout is the weak point, after all its 80% sand, and sand sucks in the water making it a perfect surface for mold and mildew. Grout also needs maintenance once a month, but before you do the maintenance, you need to clean it with a toothbrush.





re-glazing is when they paint the tub. This is more of a band-aid if your trying to sell the home, but don鈥檛 care how it will look in 6 months to 1 year. It also doesn't address the walls or fixtures.
lowes and home depot both carry tub refinish kits 40.00 per and my opinion it takes 2 to do a real good job but look in your phone book also under tub refinishing you can get it done for 300 - 350.00 guaranteed for 3 years mine looks new still after 4 years just cant use an abrasive cleaner on it.ive gotten 4 rental properties done.its the way to go any color......later
There are kits available special for refinishing bath tubs and sinks. Some of them are tint able, meaning the paint department could tint the paint to what ever color you want. Follow the directions to the letter and you should get a good result. I'd hesitate to use just plain old paint as it won't stick properly and you will end up with a mess!
I would not even try, you will not be happy with the result believe me.--- just replace it, it's not that big of a deal . there are companies that will recoat a bathtub, but it only lasts for a few years(great if you're selling right away). if not replace it
u could paint one if u knew how ...and the money u spent on the paint and spray equipment could have gone into a new tub...a basic tub is about 125.00 ( last time I bought one ) so I can't see spending a thousand.....find a handyman to install it , not a plumber....or try yourself...buy a book on plumbing....I've been a handyman for 20 yrs....it's easy....find someone to help
sure...why not?If u want to give ur old bath tub a new appearence,you should repaint it...Spray painting the bath tub is more good...Also add some new facilities to it...If u r not satisfied with it...then just buy a new one.
Why not, let your creativity begin
make sure you buy the right kind of paint!! Otherwise you'll end up with a mess....

No comments:

Post a Comment